|Durham School Services Urges Everyone to Review School Bus Safety Tips|
|Thursday, 01 September 2011 14:43|
WARRENVILLE, Ill. – With students back in school, thousands of school buses once again are rolling on neighborhood streets and city roadways all across the country.
Durham School Services, a leader in student transportation, would like to remind motorists, parents and students of important rules to keep kids safe as they ride to and from school.
• It is illegal to pass a stopped school bus that has its stop arm extended and lights flashing; this means children are entering or leaving the bus.
• Be extra cautious when driving around school buses or in a school zone and eliminate distractions, such as talking on a cell phone.
• Children’s clothing or backpacks should not have long ties or straps. They could get caught when kids are climbing on or off the bus.
• Have your child at the bus stop on time. Running after or alongside a bus is dangerous.
• Stay out of the “Danger Zone” by keeping 10 giant steps away from the bus at all times. If you are too close to the bus, the bus driver might not see you.
• Cross in front of the bus crossing gate where the driver can see you.
• Be alert. Don’t listen to music, text, or talk on your cell phone while walking or wear hoods that block your vision.
“Every school year we remind people of how important school bus safety is,” says Michele McDermott, senior vice president, safety and human resources for Durham School Services. “Safety is the primary value at Durham School Services and we urge everyone to take extra care now that children are back in school and buses are back on the roads.”
Durham School Services Prepares All Summer for Back-to-School
Long before buses are on the road for a new school year, Durham School Services locations are hard at work preparing for that first day of school.
• Recruitment – We review hundreds of applications for new bus drivers and monitors each summer. Our stringent criteria calls for candidates to pass a comprehensive background check, motor vehicle records check, drug test, physical, reference check and complete an extensive interview process before being hired.
• Training – Our drivers and monitors undergo intensive training, which includes several hours of both class time and practical, behind-the-wheel instruction.
• School Bus Readiness – We perform a thorough inspection of each bus—inside, outside and under the hood—to assure they are in optimum operating condition.
• Route Preparation – We review and test drive each bus route to be sure they are the safest and most efficient.
About Durham School Services
Durham School Services is a leading provider of student transportation consistently recognized for its outstanding safety record. Durham partners with school districts in 30 states and operates a fleet of nearly 14,000 buses. Our success rests with our dedicated employees who live our mission: “Getting kids to school safe, on time, and ready to learn.” For more information, visit www.durhamschoolservices.com.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 01 September 2011 14:46|