We are a large transportation company in the Chicago area with a great opportunity for the right person. We are looking for a go- getter to take our safety and training department to the next level.
This position will be responsible for overseeing the Safety and training department for our 2,800 employee company, as well as overseeing and training the safety representative at each of our 18 locations.
- Responsible for training staff about the legal and safe transport of passengers. Develop training programs that allow new drivers to obtain and maintain their CDL and school bus permit through initial and refresher training. Track driver/trainee progress through the various phases of the training process to ensure all aspects are completed in a timely manner
- Oversee the communications with designated health center to conduct initial, random, and “for cause" substance abuse testing.
- May conduct on-the-road evaluation of driver skills. This will include observation through both ride-alongs and following drivers while they are on their routes. Completed observation reports are given to Operations Manager for action.
- Oversee accident processing and review. Notify insurance company of an accident. May assist with onsite data gathering. Discuss driver error or policy violation, preventative measures and fault. Assess the need for retraining and discuss retraining or other disciplinary actions for excessive accidents with Operations Manager. May lead Driver Review Board, which reviews accidents and makes preventability determinations.
- Conducts portions of Safety and New Driver Orientation meetings. Educate drivers regarding company policies, transportation regulations and guidelines, procedure and regulation updates, experience trends, and seasonal topic reminders. Ensure an adequate number of safety meetings are conducted each school year and that drivers attend all mandatory meetings. Schedule meetings and arrange for guest speakers. Operations Manager, Regional Safety Director (if applicable) and Safety Director jointly create meeting agendas.
- Audit driver files to ensure proper documentation of licensing and safety records.
- Stay abreast of, and be reliable as the subject matter expert on, all laws, regulations, rules and guidelines concerning student transportation, including special needs passengers. This data is gathered in part through communication with the regulatory agencies (Departments of Transportation, Secretary of State, Regional Departments of Education), customers and NSTA. Attend state or transportation industry sponsored events and seminars to learn about new products, proposed regulations or industry best practices.
- Complete OSHA accident and injury investigations and logs; track Workers’ Compensation claims and absences.
- May conduct investigation of complaints about drivers made by school administration, parents or the general public.
Skills and Abilities:
- 5 years of experience with school buses, required
- Experience conducting adult training programs preferred
- Certification at Third Party Tester preferred
- Ability to obtain and maintain a commercial driver’s license and school bus permit, required
- Knowledge of transportation industry or school transportation policies preferred
- Good verbal and written communication skills required
- Computer skills required including skill at conducting internet searches, and operating Microsoft Office Suite
Email your resume to:
Last Updated on Friday, 21 October 2011 09:56