The results of the report, recently added to the 38-year record on STNOnline.com, show five students from five states died in the boarding and alighting process. In reports for the two years prior, seven and 13 children were killed. As in years past, passing motorists proved to be a significant danger, with four of the students being fatally struck by vehicles other than the school bus.
In the last 38 years, 1,153 children have died while loading and unloading. According to the report, 67 percent of these were eight years old or younger.
- Extension for Calif. School Bus Child Alert Systems Up in Air
- Students Rescued from School Buses Caught in Floodwaters
- School Bus Drivers Potential Threat Identifiers in Ohio
- Teen Brings Gun on School Bus, Shoots Self in Restroom
- Extreme Weather and New Engines Drive Growing Demand for Steril-Koni SKYLIFT Wash Bay in Fleet Maintenance Shops