NEW YORK — The New York School Bus Contractors Association announced today that it has presented First Student Bus Driver, Bobby DeLee, with its first NYSBCA Industry-Wide Employee of the Month award. Each month the NYSBCA will be recognizing a member’s employee, including drivers, matrons, mechanics, and office staff, who demonstrate an unmatched commitment to student safety and exceptional service to their school districts, communities and companies.
Last April, Bobby DeLee was transporting a group of 13 students home from Frazer K-8 School in Syracuse when he smelled smoke coming from inside the bus. He immediately pulled over in front of a nearby school and, as smoke started to fill up inside the bus, Bobby safely evacuated all the children and brought them inside the building. He then went out again to make sure there was no one else onboard the bus before it was engulfed in flames. Earlier this month, DeLee was honored for his bravery by the American Red Cross of Central New York during its 19th annual Real Heroes Breakfast.
“Bobby DeLee truly represents the best that our industry has to offer and due to his training, quick thinking, and rapid response to a dangerous situation, he was able to prevent any injuries and save the lives of all of the children riding on his bus that day,” said New York School Bus Contractors Association President Bree Allen. “Bobby sets the standard for others to follow, and we are thrilled to honor him by recognizing him with our inaugural Industry-Wide Employee of the Month award.”
DeLee has been a driver with First Student, serving the Syracuse City School District, for 11 years. He says he first decided to become a driver because he wanted to help kids, and that he will continue to strive to be the safest bus driver possible in the years to come.
The New York School Bus Contractors Association represents over 100 school transportation companies, also known as school bus contractors. The industry transports more than half of all the children who ride a school bus to and from school each day. The association promotes safe, reliable and cost-effective student transportation services for New York’s school children. For more information, please visit: www.nysbca.com
- Convicted Chattanooga School Bus Driver Charged With Statutory Rape
- Calif. County Grand Jury Calls for New School Bus Program
- Propane School Bus Registrations Jumped 700 Percent
- Fired Facebook Critic of ‘Horrible School Bus Drivers’ Wins Lawsuit & Job Back
- Atlanta School Bus Driver Fired for Texting & Driving
Latest from Nathan Tuvalu
- New York State School Bus Safety Legislation Advances
- Educational Bus Transportation Driver Vicky Jarvis Named ‘Nassau NYAPT Driver of the Year’
- June 2018
- Tyler Technologies’ Student Transportation Solutions Selected for Cooperative Purchasing in Arizona
- DTNA Expands Supply Chain Network with New Parts Distribution Center