Three school bus drivers were crowned over the weekend as division winners of the International Safety Competition held in Indianapolis.
The event was held in conjunction with the National School Transportation Association’s 53rd Annual Meeting and Convention and included a written exam on Saturday and behind-the-wheel skills on Sunday.
David Mansfield of Ottertail Coaches in Fergus, Minnesota won the small bus division while Billy Wiseman of Kanawha County Schools in Charleston, West Virginia finished in first place in the conventional bus division and Hannah Beard of First Student’s St. Charles, Missouri operation won the transit bus division.
The winners were honored Sunday night during NSTA’s Dinner and Awards Ceremony sponsored by IC Bus.
“The National School Transportation Association is delighted to host this event every year,” said NTSA President Todd Monteferrario. “It truly showcases the best of the best in school transportation as each of the competitors are tested on their knowledge, maneuvering and skill. School bus transportation is the safest mode of transportation available and these elite drivers show why at every turn. We congratulate all of the competitors in this international competition as well as the winners in each vehicle category.”
Below are the final announced results for all three divisions:
First Place: David Mansfield – Ottertail Coaches, Fergus, Minnesota
Second Place: Karina Larson – Forest Lake Area Schools, Forest Lake, Minnesota
Third Place: Mary Slate - Kanawha County Schools, Charleston, West Virginia
First Place: Billy Wiseman - Kanawha County Schools, Charleston, West Virginia
Second Place: Larry Hannon, Sr. – Centennial School District, Warminster, Pennsylvania
Third Place: Michael Castaneda – Northeast Independent School District, San Antonio Texas
Honorable Mention: Mark A. VanderZouwen – Grandville Public Schools, Grandville, Michigan
First Place: Hannah Beard – First Student, St. Charles, Missouri
Second Place: Laurel Bird - Preston School District #2, Preston, Idaho
Third Place: Ted Dubbs – Lower Merion School District, Ardmore, Pennsylvania
Honorable Mention: Gene Thrasher – Bend-Capine School District, Bend, Oregon
- Convicted Chattanooga School Bus Driver Charged With Statutory Rape
- Calif. County Grand Jury Calls for New School Bus Program
- Propane School Bus Registrations Jumped 700 Percent
- Fired Facebook Critic of ‘Horrible School Bus Drivers’ Wins Lawsuit & Job Back
- Atlanta School Bus Driver Fired for Texting & Driving
Latest from Ryan Gray
- Superior Energy VP Receives National Propane Gas Association Safety Award
- School Bus Aide Arrested When Video Shows Assault on Student
- JVCKENWOOD Announces Nationwide NEXEDGE® System Interactive Map
- Clean Energy Shareholders Overwhelmingly Approve Total’s Equity Investment
- Eaton Cummins Procision Transmission Has Better Performance, Lower Costs