Aspen View Public Schools in Athabasca, Alberta is mourning the death of a Thorhild Central School student following a fatal school bus crash with a semi-truck.
The school district would not disclose the age and identity of the student, who local media later reported was 15-year-old Maisie Watkinson.
The Wednesday incident occurred at approximately 8 a.m. local time in foggy conditions, according to a school board spokesperson. It had also recently snowed.
A total of 14 students and their driver were on board the bus operated by First Student Canada at the time of the collision. But the school board said no other students required medical attention and they were all transported to Thorhild Central School.
Counseling services were available for all students and staff at the K-12 school.
"We grieve this immeasurable loss with the student's family, loved ones and the entire Thorhild Central School community," Aspen View Public Schools Superintendent Mark Francis commented. "We pledge our ongoing support to all those affected by today's tragedy."
- High School Charter Bus Plunges 50 Feet into Ravine, Driver Killed
- Crash Tests Teach Wheelchair Safety For School Buses
- Seat Belts Protect Students in Calif. School Bus Crash
- Driver in Fatal Ga. School Bus Crash Charged with Homicide
- Jury Finds Chattanooga School Bus Driver Guilty of Negligent Homicide