Aspen View Public Schools in Athabasca, Alb. Canada is mourning the death of a Thorhild Central School student following a fatal school bus crash with a semi-truck.
The school district would not disclose the age and identity of the student, who local media later reported was 15-year-old Maisie Watkinson.
The Wednesday incident occurred at approximately 8 a.m. local time in foggy conditions, according to a school board spokesperson. It had also recently snowed.
A total of 14 students and their driver were on board the bus operated by First Student Canada at the time of the collision. But the school board said no other students required medical attention and they were all transported to Thorhild Central School.
Counseling services were available for all students and staff at the K-12 school.
“We grieve this immeasurable loss with the student’s family, loved ones and the entire Thorhild Central School community,” Aspen View Public Schools Superintendent Mark Francis commented. “We pledge our ongoing support to all those affected by today’s tragedy.”
- N.J. Legislature Holds Hearing on Bus Safety; School Board Approves Upgraded Belts
- Convicted Chattanooga School Bus Driver Charged With Statutory Rape
- School Bus Crashes into Ditch, Overturns in Rainy Delaware
- 2nd Person Dies in SUV vs. Empty School Bus Crash in Michigan
- Congress to Again Debate School Bus Seat Belt Legislation
Latest from Ryan Gray
- STN EXPO Indianapolis Announced at Indiana State Conference
- Superior Energy VP Receives National Propane Gas Association Safety Award
- School Bus Aide Arrested When Video Shows Assault on Student
- JVCKENWOOD Announces Nationwide NEXEDGE® System Interactive Map
- Clean Energy Shareholders Overwhelmingly Approve Total’s Equity Investment