A Long Island school bus driver is being hailed as a hero after fired started as six students with special needs were boarding, NBC4 reports.
Prior to the incident, school bus driver Bennet Avenue pulled to the side of the road after noticing smoke rising from the vehicle. He immediately evacuated all students to the curb to await further another school bus to take the kids on to school.
Soon after, an eyewitness said that flames erupted, shattering all window panes.
The school bus was on way to the Family Residence and Essential Enterprises School in Old Bethpage. A school representative indicated that the students onboard the small bus did make it to school that morning without any major or minor injuries.
It is still unclear what triggered the school bus to short circuit and catch fire.
- Seon Launches New Path Route Operations Software
- Thomas Built Buses Debuts Pedestrian Detection Prototype at STN EXPO
- Photos: STN EXPO Celebrates 25th Anniversary
- Nine Calif. School Districts Select Motiv Power Systems-Equipped All-Electric School Buses
- Photos: Safety, Security Training at STN EXPO 2018