A Long Island school bus driver is being hailed as a hero after fired started as six students with special needs were boarding, NBC4 reports.
Prior to the incident, school bus driver Bennet Avenue pulled to the side of the road after noticing smoke rising from the vehicle. He immediately evacuated all students to the curb to await further another school bus to take the kids on to school.
Soon after, an eyewitness said that flames erupted, shattering all window panes.
The school bus was on way to the Family Residence and Essential Enterprises School in Old Bethpage. A school representative indicated that the students onboard the small bus did make it to school that morning without any major or minor injuries.
It is still unclear what triggered the school bus to short circuit and catch fire.
- School Bus, Train Collision Kills 4 Children in South France
- NTSB On Scene at Site of Fatal Iowa School Bus Crash
- Family and Friends Mourn Georgia Preschooler Killed on School Bus
- Local, Federal Investigators Look Into Fatal Iowa School Bus Fire
- Recalling 35 ‘Rewarding’ Years as School Bus Driver, Trainer