U.S. Department of Education
U.S. Department of Transportation
Other Federal Resources
• FERPA Regulations
• Questions and Answers on Serving Children with Disabilities Eligible for Transportation
Office of Special Education Programs, U.S. Department of Education, Nov., 4, 2009
• OSERS Guidance on Bullying of Students with Disabilities (Aug. 20, 2013)
Overview of school districts' responsibilities to ensure that students with disabilities who are subject to bullying continue to receive free appropriate public education (FAPE) under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).
• "Dear Colleague" Guidance on Bullying and Harrassment
Letter from Office of Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, Oct. 21, 2014
• "Dear Colleague" Guidance on Seclusion and Restraint
Guidance on how the federal government interprets and enforces federal civil rights laws protections students with disabilities from Office of Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, Dec. 28, 2016
• National Autism Awareness Month
Information and resources from the Autism Society
Wheelchairs and Travel
• International Organization for Standardization: Wheelchair Mobility
(Enter search phrase "wheelchair mobility")
• National School Transportation Specifications & Procedures
Click on "Download NCST Publications 1939-2010")
• School Bus Travel Training
This document is a white paper prepared by Ted Finlayson-Schueler of Safety Rules! and released in May 2011 that examines the possibilities of using the school bus as a place to teach travel training skills. Written with the support of a graduate fellowship from Easter Seals Project Action.
• STN Travel Training Webinar
Watch "Learning Life Skills on the School Bus," a 75-minute presentation on travel training to help students with special needs learn how to become self-sufficient in their adult lives by using public transit.