State directors of student transportation listened to and discussed updates on the workings of the federal government as they related to the industry.
Monday morning opened with a brief appearance by 100-year-old industry and NASDPTS legend Paul Stewart, and the presentation of the STN Transportation Director of the Year award to Executive Director of Transportation Nicole Portee of Denver Public Schools.
The state directors then attended federal update sessions led by Ryan Rahimpour, a safety defects engineer with the NHTSA Office of Defects Investigation; David Cooper, section chief and industry engagement manager with the TSA’s Highway Security Policy and Industry Engagement Surface Division; and Michele Beckjord, senior accident investigator at the NTSB.
NAPT Region 5 Director Theresa Anderson led an NAPT general session celebrating individuals who demonstrated excellence in the student transportation industry. Vendors and manufacturers also provided updates and insights into the future.
The evening closed out with a party sponsored by School Transportation News, Collins Bus, Pro Air and Lowen Graphics.
- Indiana has Become a Flash Point for School Bus Safety
- Congress Aims to Avoid Partial Government Shutdown
- Indiana Student Killed When Truck Rear-ends School Bus
- Leander Independent School District adds 24 New Blue Bird Propane Buses
- Province Imposes Big Fines, Driver’s License Suspension for Illegal School Bus Passing